Kindergarten Orientation FAQ
For more detailed information, please see our registration packet and kindergarten registration and department web pages.
Where will my child attend school?
- Almost all students attend school at their neighborhood school based on the student’s home address or by request to a different school
- On some occasions, students may attend a school other than their neighborhood school for one of the following reasons:
- Space and availability
- Special program needs of the student (the program needed for a student may not be at their neighborhood school)
- Parent makes a transfer request to attend at a different school
When is the first day of school for kindergarten?
- First day of kindergarten instruction is Tuesday, Sept. 10.
- First three days of the school year are reserved for Parent-Teacher-Student conferences
- Visit with our teachers and become more familiar with our school buildings
When and where do I register my child for kindergarten?
- Register your child starting Wednesday, April 24, from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (extra staff will be on hand) or any day after during regular office hours which are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Register at your neighborhood elementary school at the following locations:
Broad View 473 SW Fairhaven Drive (360) 279-5250
Crescent Harbor 330 E Crescent Harbor Road (360) 279-5650
Hillcrest 1500 NW 2nd Avenue (360) 279-5200
Oak Harbor 151 SE Midway Blvd. (360) 279-5100
Olympic View 380 NE Regatta Drive (360) 279-5150
What should I bring to registration?
- Birth Certificate
- Verification of address
- Completed registration packet
- Immunization records
- Medical information (health conditions, list of medications needed at school, etc.)
Are there welcome to school events?
- Watch your email and check school websites for “Welcome to School” events
- Check U.S. mail in August for your letter with teacher assignment and conference time
What’s the school schedule and calendar?
- Mondays are “early release days” so the student schedule is 9:00 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.
- Tuesday through Friday the student schedule is 9:00 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
- Kindergarten students have no school the first three days of the school year so teachers have time to meet and conference with every family
- There are also days for parent-teacher conferences in October and March
What is the kindergarten readiness screening?
- A series of activities to place students and make sure we’re meeting their needs
- Sign-up for your time slot during registration:
Broad View April 29 and May 6
Crescent Harbor April 30 and May 1
Hillcrest April 25 and April 30
Oak Harbor April 30 and May 1
Olympic View April 29-30
- Each school offers at least two days of screening in April/May
- Typically, 45 children are selected to attend a three-week “Jumpstart to Kindergarten” in August based on their screening results
What are some of the special programs offered?
- Reading & math assistance
- Special Education
- Speech & language assistance
- Occupational & physical therapy
- Social & emotional assistance
- English Language Learners
- Highly Capable Learners
What health support and services are available?
- At least six nurses are assigned to various schools in the school district
- Medication, treatment, emergency care & first aid
- Work specifically with life-threatening conditions
- Track and assist with required immunizations
- Provide screening for vision & hearing
What food service options are available?
- Breakfast & Hot Lunch Programs (Milk-only available)
- Free & reduced meals are provided for students who qualify based on family income
- Online food service accounts allow families to:
- View each student's account information
- Make online meal payments
- Credit/debit cards are accepted online or in school offices
- Complete menus and detailed nutritional information for all items on our app
How is transportation handled?
- Bus tags are given to students to assist with appropriate tracking
- Bus routes are also provided on our mobile app and “Infofinder” system - visit www.ohsd.net and click on “Bus Routes” under Quick Links on our homepage (updated in late August)
- Safe walking zones are within one mile of the school and no bus transportation is provided
- Multiple cameras on all buses for student safety
What are some kindergarten readiness activities I can do with my child?
- Counting: count stairs, food items, toys
- Shapes & Patterns: identify in your house, in the car; sorting silverware, blocks; do puzzles
- Play with Language: nursery rhymes, name things that are opposites, play guessing games
- Reading: read daily with your child, have your child retell you a story, ask questions
What are some helpful habits that will help my child at school?
- Listening Following directions, waiting for turn to speak
- Stick to a schedule Bedtime, mealtimes
- Social Activities Get along with others, sharing, playing in groups
- Responsibility Accomplish tasks, household chores
- Independence Dressing – practice snaps, buttons, zippers, using the bathroom
What advice do you have for parents about getting involved?
- Join the PTA
- Attend school events and activities
- Get to know your child’s teacher
- Volunteer to help out at school (ask for a volunteer form)
- Always contact your child’s teacher or principal if you have questions or concerns
- Connect and interact with us through social media
- Make sure we have your cell number for ease of contact and for emergency text messages
How do I contact my school’s principal?
Broad View: Jenny Hunt, firstname.lastname@example.org (360) 279-5250
Crescent Harbor: Kate Valenzuela, email@example.com (360) 279-5650
Hillcrest: Paula Seaman, firstname.lastname@example.org (360) 279-5200
Oak Harbor: Dorothy Day, email@example.com (360) 279-5100
Olympic View: Laura Aesoph, firstname.lastname@example.org (360) 279-5150
Call us anytime at 360-279-5000. We’re happy to help!