Regular school attendance is critical for mastery of the instructional content being presented sequentially to your child at Crescent Harbor Elementary School. Children learn hundreds of new skills and concepts during the school year and their understanding of these skills and concepts is dependent upon their daily attendance and participation. Additionally, regular daily attendance is important to a student so that he/she may develop secure relationships with peers and the classroom teacher.
As parents, you control your child’s attendance. Every attempt needs to be made to guarantee good school attendance; however, circumstances do arise which necessitate a student occasionally missing school. Washington State has a compulsory school attendance law (RCW 28A.225.010). If your child is absent from school for any reason, the parent needs to do the following:
1. Call the attendance line at 279-5698 to let the office staff know about your child’s absence.
2. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a note with your child within 48 hours of when they return to school explaining:
- the reason for the absence
- the date(s) of the absence
- the current date
- your signature
***Absences without a call, email, or note will be considered unexcused.
3. Contact the classroom teacher and ask for assignments that need to be made up.
4. For students attending half-day: those arriving after 12:15 p.m. will be marked absent for the morning, those leaving after 12:15 p.m. will be marked absent for the afternoon.
If a student is absent and the office personnel has not heard from a parent by 9:50 a.m., a phone call will be placed to the parent or other designated individuals by 10:50 a.m. Please be sure to update home phone numbers, work numbers, and emergency numbers on a regular basis.