Daily attendance is a key to your child’s educational success as most classroom experiences cannot be duplicated on an individual basis or through independent work at home. As parents, you control your child’s attendance. Good attendance also prepares students to be more successful in adult life, so we encourage all families to make school attendance a priority. All students enrolled at Hillcrest Elementary are expected to attend school daily from 9:00-3:20 (2:20 on Monday early release) in accordance with Washington’s compulsory school attendance law (RCW 28A.22S.010).
Any necessary absence will be recorded as either excused or unexcused in in your child’s school record.
- Participation in a school-related activity
- Illness, health condition, or family emergency
- Disciplinary action
- Military deployment/reunion (one day per occasion at parent request)
- Pre-approved activities or circumstances that do not adversely impact student progress
- Failure to call the attendance line (360.279.5245) OR email the attendance office (email@example.com) OR submit a written statement signed by a parent or guardian within 2 school days of return from the absence.
- Submittal of a written statement signed by a parent or guardian within 2 school days of return from absence that does not meet the criteria of an excused absence
- On the occasion of the 5th unexcused absence in a month, Hillcrest shall enter into an attendance agreement with student and parents to establish requirements for attendance.
- On the occasion of the 10th unexcused absence in a year, Oak Harbor Public Schools shall file a petition with the Island County Juvenile Court.
If your child is absent for any reason:
- Call the attendance line (360.279.5245) OR email the attendance office (firstname.lastname@example.org) OR send a dated and signed note with your child within 2 school days of their return to school, explaining the reason for and date(s) of the absence(s).
- Contact the classroom teacher to ask for assignments to be made up.
- If you anticipate a lengthy absence for medical reasons, please provide a note from your doctor.
- If you will be out of town for any length of time, please notify the teacher ahead of time to pre-excuse the absence.
- Please update your home, cell, work, and emergency phone numbers with our office on a regular basis.
Students arriving at school after 9:00 are considered tardy. Tardy students and their parent must report to the office to complete a tardy slip prior to the student being admitted to class.