Dear Students and Families,
I am very happy to be your child’s teacher this year. This will be my eighteenth year in the Oak Harbor School District, and my twelfth year at Crescent Harbor. I have taught first, second, and third grades throughout those years, but second grade is where I feel the most comfortable. Most students still enjoy school at this age, and are just starting to realize their potential, so it’s an exciting grade!
Here’s a general idea of what your student will be learning this year:
- In math, students will learn place value, 2- and 3- digit addition and subtraction, telling time, measuring to the inch and centimeter, and geometry.
- Science will consists of three units: Physical (forms of matter), Life (plants and animals), and Earth (landforms and climate).
- Reading will focus on helping students learn how to understand fiction and nonfiction texts, plus phonics, grammar, and vocabulary.
- In writing we’ll take them through the writing process with three types of writing: narrative, informational, and opinion. This year I'm going to be using the Mentor Sentences technique, which will help students improve on grammar, mechanics, and style.
- Social Studies will explore aspects of history, geography, economics, and civics, within the context of communities.
- In addition, CHE has a wonderful garden. Students will learn how to plant, harvest, and care for the garden, plus be able to enjoy healthy eating.
I’ll keep you updated on our progress through monthly newsletters and frequent emails. I'm looking forward to a great year!