OHHS 9th Grade Registration
Dear NWMS 8th Grade Parents,
It was an absolute pleasure to visit our incoming 9th graders last Monday, February 28th, to begin high school registration. Three of our high school counselors, Anna Chargualaf, Pat Tang (9th grade counselor) and Denise Waller, visited all science classes to start the registration process. We will be returning on Monday, March 7th, to work on registration again. Here is a breakdown of our visit:
Monday, February 28th:
- OHHS graduation requirements
- Video presentation of many courses
- Post-high school options
- Course descriptions
- Students started to fill in their elective requests worksheet
Monday, March 7th:
- Students will continue to fill in their elective requests worksheet
- Students will learn how to enter their elective choices into their Xello account *
* Xello is an internet based career exploration and planning tool students use to create their high school and beyond plan, a graduation requirement in the state of Washington. Students can explore career and college options and make course requests in Xello. Xello is used in OHPS for grades 7-12.
Parents and guardians are an integral part of this registration process. We highly recommend that you have a conversation with your child about what they learned on Monday and take some time to look at the elective worksheet and course guide together. A blank copy of the Electives Form is attached. Students DO NOT need to print and return these, they are for reference only. Students started to fill in their worksheet at school on Monday, February 28th and will continue on Monday, March 7th. OHHS counselors collected all worksheets on Monday. Here is the link to our OHHS Course Guide 2022-2023. This course guide is helpful as it gives you details about each course that we offer.
Here are some important points to note:
- Students will be requesting ELECTIVES ONLY. They are asked to rank 12 in total. Instructions are on the worksheet.
- Your student’s 8th grade core class teachers will be adding MATH, ENGLISH, AND SCIENCE (Biology) classes.
- FAMILY HEALTH will automatically be added to schedules.
- Please speak to your student about whether they would like to take our Foundations of PE class (one trimester) or ROTC (year long). If a student takes ROTC, a PE credit is earned. So, students take one or the other.
- If your student has an IEP, their case manager will be working with them on their course requests also.
- Please take some time to look over and talk about the electives worksheet and the course guide with your student.
- Students will have access to their Course Planner in Xello until March 16th to submit their requests.
We are excited to return to NWMS on Monday, March 7th to continue the registration process with your student.
Please do not hesitate to contact Pat Tang, OHHS 9th grade counselor, email@example.com or 360.279.5715
OHHS Counseling Team.
School Counselor - 9th Grade
Oak Harbor High School