Important Notifications

  • Does Your Student Have a Life-Threatening Condition?  
    Immediately notify your school nurse if your student has a life-threatening health condition, such as asthma, allergies, diabetes, convulsions/seizures, bee sting reactions and others, that may require medical services to be performed at school. By law, a nursing plan and medication or treatment order from your student’s licensed healthcare provider must be in place before your student starts school. The paperwork must also be filed every school year before your student begins school. Forms are available at your school or at under “Families”🡪 “Health Services” ”Individual Health Plans.” Please contact your school if you have any questions.

    Washington State law requires children attending kindergarten through 12th grade to have an immunization record on file at school. Beginning on August 1, 2020, changes to the immunization law will require medically verified immunization records for school prior to entrance.  “Medically verified record “ includes one or more of the following:

    • A Certificate of Immunization Status(CIS) printed from the Immunization Information System (IIS)
    • A physical copy of the CIS form with a healthcare provider signature
    • A physical copy of the CIS with accompanying medical immunization records from a healthcare provider verified and signed by school staffA CIS printed from MyIR         (

    The revised rule allows children to begin school only if all of the required immunizations they are eligible for are received and the medically verified records are submitted on or before the first day of attendance. If additional immunizations are needed after receiving all immunizations they are eligible to receive before starting school, children may start school in a conditional status and remain so until the next dose becomes due.

    Children of active-duty military parents or guardians must turn in documentation of immunization status on or before the first day of attendance. If additional vaccine doses are needed to meet state requirements, they have 30 days from enrollment to do so.

    Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Tdap)
    Beginning August 1, 2020, all students entering 7th through 12th grades must have one booster dose of Tdap vaccine. In the 2020-2021 school year, all students in 7th grade must have received their Tdap dose on or after age 10 years. Students in 8th through 12th grades must have received their Tdap dose on or after age 7 years.

    Meningococcal and HPV  
    Vaccines to protect against meningococcal and human papillomavirus are recommended by the State for children beginning at age 9. For information about these diseases and vaccines, go to “Families”🡪 ”Health Services”🡪 ”Immunizations.” 

    Your Notification of Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA):
    You will find your complete privacy rights under FERPA in the school district calendar. You have the right to choose whether your student’s information is released or not. “Opt Out” forms are available at your school office or at under “Families”🡪 ”Welcome”🡪 ”Family Rights and Privacy.” File an Opt Out form with your school if you do not wish to:

    1. Release directory information about your student,
    2. Have your student photographed at school for the newspaper, district web sites or school-related news publications, and/or
    3. Release directory information to the military for students in grades 9-12.

    If you do not want information released to the military, you must return the form by October 1, 2023, in order to ensure your preferences are entered into our student information system.

    Requesting an Elementary School Outside Your Boundary:  

    Simply complete a Request for In-District Transfer form to request that your elementary student attend a school besides their assigned neighborhood school. Forms are available at your neighborhood school or at under “Families” ”Enrollment.” Forms may be submitted beginning the first Monday in May and must be returned to the school by the first Friday in June for priority consideration.  Please carefully review the Request for In-District Transfer form and included Policy and Procedure prior to submission. All board policies are available online at under “About”🡪 ”School Board”🡪 ”Board Policies & Procedures.” Please note this is an annual process; current transfer students must reapply each year.

    School of Choice  |  Leader in Me
    More students in our district elect to transfer to Oak Harbor Elementary (OHE) than any other school, making it our School of Choice.  Dedicated and compassionate staff, focusing on building solid partnerships with community groups, Oak Harbor Elementary is the only school in the district using the Leader in Me program.  Developed by critically acclaimed Stephen Covey, the program creates well-rounded learners by developing the whole person and preparing students to become life-ready leaders.  School uniforms and a curriculum built on building leaders for the future, Oak Harbor Elementary sets itself apart from the rest!

    If you are interested in having your student attend, simply complete a Request for In-District Transfer.  Please note that transportation is not provided for OHE Choice students outside of the OHE attendance area. Transfer request forms are available at your neighborhood school or at under "Families" 🡪 "Enrollment."  For more information about the School of Choice, call the school at 360-279-5100 or visit

    A Report Card On Our Schools:  
    The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) provides a Washington School Report Card to share information with you about K-12 schools. The link to specific data such as performance indicators, number of students enrolled and additional information is available on each school’s website at  “About”-”Our School” or “Data & Reporting”-”Report Card” or

    Homeless Students:  
    The McKinney Vento Act provides specific measures to ensure school stability and retention for students living in qualifying homeless situations to the extent practical and as required by law.  Homeless students in our district are provided district services for which they are eligible, including immediate enrollment, school selection, student and family advocacy, access to services, transportation, remedial education, special education, bilingual education, vocational/technical education, dispute resolution, and school nutrition. Please contact our district’s homeless liaison at 360-279-5514 for more information about these services. 

    Highly Capable Program Services (Gifted Education Services):  
    If your child was receiving Highly Capable Program Services or Gifted Education Services in your previous district, please send student records to the Highly Capable Program secretary at or call 360-279-5035 as well as notify your school office.  Parents are able to refer students for Highly Capable Program services. Information about referrals, identification process, and program services can be found at under “Learning” - “Advanced Learning” or directly at

    Board Policy and Procedure 3207, Prohibition of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying, states that threats to do bodily harm or violence toward another student, staff member, parent, or visitor will not be tolerated.  Contact your school for specific reporting and appeal procedures.

    Oak Harbor Public Schools are a Tobacco, Drug and Gun-Free School Zone.