All students enrolled at Olympic View Elementary are expected to attend from 9:00 a.m.- 3:20 p.m. each day. Being in class every day is a key to student success since most classroom experiences cannot be duplicated on an individual basis or through additional independent work at home. Parents control student attendance at this level. We encourage you to schedule any needed appointments outside of school hours if at all possible. Washington State has a compulsory school attendance law (RCW 28A.22S.010). Any necessary absence will be recorded as either excused or unexcused in your child’s record.
1. Participation in a school-approved activity
2. Absence due to illness, health condition, or family emergency
3. Absence due to disciplinary action
4. Military deployment/reunification - 1 day per occasion at parent request
5. Pre-approved activities or circumstances that do not adversely affect educational progress
1. Failure to submit a statement signed by the parent/guardian requesting absence be excused
2. Submitting a request that does not constitute an excused absence as defined above.
If your child is absent from school for any reason, the parent needs to do the following:
1. Call the school attendance line by 8:40 a.m. at 360.279.5159 (24 hours) to notify office personnel of the absence.
2. Send a dated and signed note with your child within 48 hours when he or she returns to school, explaining the reason for the absence and the date(s) of the absence.
3. Contact the classroom teacher and ask for assignments that need to be made up.
4. If you anticipate a lengthy absence for medical reasons, please provide the school with a note from your doctor.
Call-Back Procedures for absences without prior notification
If a child is absent and the school has not heard from the parent, the school’s automated system will call and email the primary guardian listed on the student’s record. Please update home, work, and emergency phone numbers on a regular basis.
Late Arrival – TARDY!
Students arriving at school after 9:00 a.m. are considered tardy. Students who are late must report to the office to check in and get a tardy slip to present to the classroom teacher. In order to keep parents informed about the number of tardies their student is accruing, letters will be sent home after 5, 10, and 15 tardies.