All public high school students are required to meet statewide graduation requirements in order to earn a diploma.
To earn a high school diploma from Oak Harbor High School, a student must:
• Meet graduation credit requirements
• Pass a High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) and End of Course Exams (EOCs)
• Complete a High School and Beyond Plan and perform community service hours
• Obtain Career Exploration Credit
High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) and End of Course Exams (EOCs)
Students must pass the Washington State High School Proficiency Exam in reading and writing to earn a diploma. End of course exams are administered in Algebra, Geometry and Biology. The Class of 2015 and beyond must pass both End of Course math exams and the End of Course biology exam. Students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) may qualify for alternative assessments.
High School and Beyond Plan
The High School & Beyond plan is a state requirement for graduation. Students complete this plan in their advisory class. Students must select a career goal and document all the activities they took part in during high school to prepare them to go onto college, a career, or tech school. Also required is documentation of community service hours and career exploration opportunities.
High School and Beyond Form
Community Service Documentation Form
Career Exploration Opportunity
CEO is designed to help students explore a career by connecting with a professional in the community. One CEO is required as a junior and another as a senior. However, you are encouraged to participate in as many as interest you. The experience can help students investigate a career, eliminate a career option or help obtain a job. The following activities qualify as a CEO:
• Over-the phone interview
• Classroom or lunchtime speaker
• Meeting with a college rep or visiting a college campus
• Job Shadow
• Field Trip
• Worksite Internship or Work Experience - See Mrs. Underwood in A217
• Mock Interview
• Attending College or Career Planning Nights
• Off-site Career/College Fairs
Note: Students need to fill out CEO Reflection paperwork to receive credit for the activity.